CIVIL SERVICES APTITUDE TEST: 10 INITIAL STEPS TO BE TAKEN:-
By Dr. Bijay Ketan Upadhyaya,I.A.S.
Rank 5, CSE 2008.
1. Whatever the test will be, one thing is for sure … The importance of Current Events will not decrease. In my opinion, its significance will increase. So it makes sense to go through 2 National Dailies everyday for 2-3 hours & jot down important news items. You can go through …
• The Hindu
• The Times of India
• The Economic Times (If possible)
2. You should make your mathematics, reasoning & mental ability side strong .For this you can begin with :-
• Quick math for Bank PO Exam by M Tyra
• Quantitative Aptitude & Reasoning by R S Agarwal
• Simple Aptitude & Mental ability books for Bank PO & NOT for CAT of IIMs will be helpful. CSAT will be a much simplified version of CAT.
3. Prepare one optional very well & General Studies. These two things you must be very strong. As the pattern of Prelims & Mains is not clear at this point.
4. Common books to be read in the initial days which will be important always :-
• Modern India by Bipan Chandra NCERT
• India Year Book
• Manorama Year Book
• NCERT 11th & 12th standard books on History, Geography & Economics
• General Science book of CBSE or NCERT 9th & 10th standard
• TMH General Studies Guide (Especially General Knowledge & General Mental Ability area will be helpful.)
• Our Constitution by Subhash Kashyap
• Our Parliament by Subhash Kashyap ( Optional )
5. Listen to All India Radio bulletins from 2 PM to 2.30 PM & 9 PM to 9.30 PM very well. Also listen to ND TV news bulletins & programmes like Big Fight, We The People, BBC World so that your General Knowledge expands.
6. Lucent’s General Knowledge will also help in this aspect.
7. Any Guide book on RBI Grade B will also shed light on the situation based question & questions testing your decision making ability.
8. Solve the Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning questions that come out in magazines like General Knowledge Today, Pratiyogita Darpan etc.
9. Read some basic economic book like :-
• Indian Economy : Problems & Prospects by Uma Kapila OR
• Indian Economy by Dutta, Sundharam ( Tougher & better )
10. Develop the skill to solve mathematical & reasoning problems faster. It comes with practice. So the sooner you start practicing, the better your chances of clearing CSAT in 2011 will be …
ALL WILL BE WELL … & DON’T WORRY TOO MUCH …