Thursday, March 11, 2010



BALASORE: Bijay Ketan Upadhyaya has made the district and State proud by securing fifth rank in the UPSC examination results of which were declared yesterday. He is the only one from Orissa to find a place in the top ten list and tops the list of male general candidates.

Bijay, a veterinary graduate, took the examination with Public Administration and Psychology as optional subjects.

‘‘The result came as a surprise to me. Though I was sure of clearing the test, I never expected such a high rank,’’ an overwhelmed Bijay told from New Delhi where he had been preparing for the examination for last four years.

He, however, tasted success in his third attempt. ‘‘Finally hard work and consistency brought colours to my life. Despite two unsuccessful attempts I never lost patience. Rather my determination became stronger and this is, I feel, is key to my success,’’ he said. He exuded confidence of getting Orissa cadre.

He credited the success to his parents saying without their support, he would not have reached the position. He also gave credit to his senior Satyasai Rath, an Income Tax commissioner, from whom he got the inspiration.

Bijay said he achieved success as he was determined to be an IAS after completing graduation from the Orissa College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry in 2005.

‘‘What is Gotipua dance?’’ was the second question put to Bijay during the viva voce followed by three questions on Orissa’s pattachitra, significance of Raghurajpur village and revival of Gotipua and Odissi dances by Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra. He was taking coaching in two Delhi-based institutions - Vajiram and Ravi IAS Institute and Sriram’s IAS.

His mantra for success is determination, patience, continuous motivation and hard work. Born to Rabinarayan Upadhyaya, reader in English, Oupada College here, and Naliniprava, Bijay’s passed with first class throughout his career.

‘‘We are extremely happy. Our son is a bright student and by securing the fifth position he has brought laurels to the district. He held our name high,’’ said his parents.



  2. a perfect motivator and energy mobiliser......

  3. hi! sir my name is Sunil Kumar i have done post graduation in psychology from delhi university in 2010. i have joined VajiRam and Ravi coaching institute for G.S. i have Psychology and Sociology as my optional.I'm not taking coaching in sociology so matter of deep concern here for me is sir that i have not been able to decide so far whether to take coaching in Psychology or not. I'm really confused.sir I'm looking for some excellent and valuable advice from your side.please sir help me out in this regard.

  4. Hi Sunil,

    u should take coaching in psychology as : puts ur knowledge in the RIGHT PERSPECTIVE keeps the momentum alive
    3.perfect motivation
    4.UPSC style writing & University style writing are different
    5.keeps you up-to-date
    6.u come to know what others are doing
    7.multiplies your interest in the subject
    8.some concepts can only be cleared in the classroom & very difficult to understand by yourself
    9.coaching in psychology from Vajiram & Ravi is worthwhile as it makes the job simpler the end, coaching will make 20 % i.e. the base & will generate interest in the subject.Then u have to read yourself & master the rest 80 % depends entirely on you.

    But,I feel, the first 20 % is vital ...
    Hope it helps.
    All the best.

  5. Great work sir....
    Nice article here is our suggested study plan to
    How to Read

  6. Hi guys!! It is for all those who are preparing for the IAS exams. I was preparing for the same and was looking for coaching but was unable to find. Then i opted for the online course for IAS general studies and it was beyond my expectations. It is both time and cost effective. So got myself enrolled at :
    IAS General Studies and CSAT Prelims Online Video Coaching Course

    Check it guys!! it's a must and a great Online Coaching course for IAS preparation.
    hope it was helpful!! thanks

  7. Which is the best study material and coaching center for the upsc civil services geography exam book

  8. I like your post all that much and value your work in this. Much obliged to you for offering to us.
    career counselling in jaipur